Bhakarwadi is one of the most delicious and well known snack of Maharashtra
These flavourful crunchy sweet and spicy rolls are the very unique in taste and also considered as best snacks during long travel. There are many ways to prepare bhakarwadi like you can prepare it with all purpose flour, gram flour, wheat flour or mixture of all purpose flour and gram flour etc. But here i am using the mixture of gram flour and wheat flour to make the dough of bhakarwadi and rest stuffing mixture is prepared by poppy seeds, coconut powder, sesame seeds and by using some other aromatic spices.
Here i am sharing a deep fried version of this recipe but you can make them in oven as well. Fried bhakarwadi can be stored for couple of weeks. Its a best tea time snack during monsoon, so lets prepare bhakarwadi today….
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups gram flour/chickpea flour
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 tea spoon asafoetida
1/3 tea spoon turmeric
1/2 tea spoon red chilli powder
Water as required
Salt to taste or 1/2 tea spoon
1 tea spoon poppy seeds
1 tea spoon coriander seeds
1 tea spoon fennel seeds
1 tea spoon white sesame seeds
1 tea spoon sugar
1 tea spoon red chilli powder
1 tea spoon coconut powder
1/2 tea spoon cumin seeds
8 to 9 pepper-corns
1 tea spoon amchur/dried mango powder
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
1. Take a big bowl and add all dough ingredients together except water and give it a nice mix with the help of hands.
2. Now with the help of luke warm water, knead a stiff dough then cover and set aside for at least 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile add all stuffing ingredients together in a mixer jar and make a coarse powder of it.
4. Now again knead the dough for about 2 to 3 minutes and then divide it into two equal parts.
5. Now roll out one portion of the dough into a big circle.
6. Now apply a little bit water (by using brush) over the rolled circle and then evenly spread half portion of filling over it.
5. Now roll tightly to form a roll and stick the ends with a little water then cut out equal sized pinwheels from the dough roll.
6. Now heat oil in a kadai and on medium flame deep fry the bhakarwadi until it becomes golden from both sides.
7. Then remove from the oil and place them on absorbent paper.
Now bhakarwadis are ready to be served….once it cool completely store in air tight container.