Mamool is a traditional Middle Eastern cookies recipe.
They are semolina based cookies that have three traditional fillings including pistachio, walnut and most demanding dates filling. Traditionally Mamool is formed in a specific design mold but you can also make them with your hands as well.
Likewise other cookies, Mamool is also a baked recipe, after baking, you need to make them cool and coat them with powdered sugar.
Although it is a festive recipe, especially in arab countries people eat them at night during Ramadan and eid, and easter sunday but you can prepare it at home anytime when your sweet tooth craving to have some sweets.
For cookies dough
300 gram semolina
100 gram powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk powder
80 gram all purpose flour
80 gram butter or ghee
1 table spoon cooking oil
1 tea spoon vanilla essence
1 table spoon rose water
1/3 tea spoon nutmeg powder
1/3 tea spoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
Luke warm milk as needed
200 gram dates
80 gram of minced pistachios
80 gram of minced walnut
1 tea spoon green cardamom powder
4 table spoon sugar
2 table spoon water
For yeast mixture
1/2 tea spoon yeast
1/2 tea spoon sugar
3 table spoon water
1. To prepare Mamool, first of all we need to take a big bowl and add semolina in it.
2. Now add the melted butter or ghee and oil in it and softly rub the butter and oil into the semolina mixture.
3. Now cover this mixture with cling wrap and leave it for couple of hours.
4. Now add dry ingredients in this mixture like milk powder, powdered sugar, salt, baking powder, nutmeg powder, all purpose flour and mix them well together.
5. Now prepare yeast mixture, take bowl add 3 table spoon water, yeast and sugar in it and set aside until the surface of this mixture becomes foamy.
6. Its time to add wet ingredients into dry ingredients, add rose water, yeast mixture, vanilla essense in to the semolina mixture and with the help of milk knead a soft dough.
7. Cover this mixture atleast for 1 hour.
8. We will use this gap to prepare filling,
For dates filling, firstly remove seed from all dates and grind them until they turn into a paste. You can use this paste as it is, but to make it more flavourful, add some mix nuts in it.
9. For pistachios filling take a bowl add minced pistachios in it and then add cardamom powder, 1.5 table spoon water and sugar in it and mix well together.
10. For walnut filling
Take a bowl add minced walnut in it and then sugar, 1.5 table spoon water then mix them all well together.
11. To make the mamool we use a plastic mold, traditionally there is different kinds of molds for each filling. But you can also prepare them without using any mold or anything.
12. Now take a lemon size ball from the dough and give it to the smooth round shape. Put it in the center of your palm and press slightly.
13. Now add the 1 tea spoon of filling in the center of this flat dough ball. And then fold it up again to give it a ball shape again.(meanwhile preheat the oven )
14. Now put the stuffed ball in the proper mold and press slightly to give it the shape.(like wise prepare all Mamool with all three fillings).
15. Put the prepared Mamool in the cooking tray and bake them on 230℃ until they get colored or for about 15 minutes.
After you bake them, coat them with powder sugar and serve with Kahwa or tea or coffee as your choice..
Note- if you are not having Mamool mold, to give it proper shape, no need to worry, you can decorate the stuffed ball with fork or knife or anything, because it is just a creativity.