Sarson Ka Saag
During winters we can see this healthy leafy vegetable every where in vegetable market. Its well known, Punjabi delicasy “Sarson ka saag te makke di Roti”. Although there are lots of way to prepare saag but this is my favourite saag recipe, which i learnt from my mom. She is an amazing cook and real expert in making sarso ka saag and makke ki roti.
In this saag recipe, according to availability, i am using mustard greens, spinach and fenugreek leaves. Because its very difficult to find bathua in middle east so i skip this ingredient, but if you find it easily then you must use this leaf to prepare saag.
Traditionally Saag is served with Makke ki roti, lassi and with fresh jaggery in Punjab, so that is why for perfect platters, first time i tried to make makke ki roti as well😜
2 bunches fresh mustard leaves
1 bunch spinach leaves
1/2 bunch fenugreek leaves
3 table spoon corn meal
1 inch ginger piece
4 green chillies
1/3 cup desi ghee (clarified butter)
1 onion (medium size)
Pinch of asafoetida
Salt to taste
Water as needed
Butter for garnishing
1. Firstly wash all leaves and vegetables thoroughly with water.
2. Now drain the excess water and roughly chop all leaves, ginger and chillies.
3. Now heat a deep pan on medium flame, add all chopped leaves, green chillies and ginger in it, add half tea spoon salt and 2 cups of water in it, then cover with lid and boil it until leaves become soft.
4. Turn off the flame and let it cool, then grind to a coarse paste, transfer this mixture again in same pan and boil it on low flame.
5. Now take 1 cup of luke warm water, cornmeal and asafoetida together, mix well and add this mixture into saag mixture and give it a nice mix. Let it boil this mixture on low flame about 20 to 25 minutes. Saag is ready now, but to make it more tempting we using desi ghee and onion tadka in it.
6. For tadka, heat desi ghee in a pan then add chopped onion in it, saute it until they become light brown in color then add boiled saag mixture in it and again boil it on low flame about 3 to 4 minutes. Now delicious Saag is ready to be serve, garnish it with butter and serve hot with makke ki roti and lassi…😋