(With both baked and fried options)
Masala vada is very popular in all over India but originated in south India. It is also known as Parippu Vada in southern India.
Though Masala Vada is mostly used as an option for breakfast but considering today’s tasteful life – you can have and prepare it anytime. Main key ingredient for Masala Vada is chana daal(split chickpea). Since long, Masala Vada is a deep fried snack however i am adding baked option also to make it more healthier without reducing the level of taste.
You can serve these tempting Vadas with coconut chutney and sambhar and you also can have it with your favorite chatni or sauce..So lets prepare it.
1 cup chana daal
1.5 table spoon rice flour
12 to 15 curry leaves
50 gram fresh coriander leaves
2 to 3 green chillies (chopped)
1 medium onion (chopped)
1 tea spoon ginger paste
7 to 8 black pepper
1 table spoon fennel seeds (coarsely ground)
1 tea spoon coriander powder
Pinch of hing
Salt to taste
Oil for deep fry
1. To prepare masala vada, first of all we need to wash and soak the chana daal in luke warm water for about 5 to 6 hours.
2. Now drain the water and with the help of mixer grinder, grind this daal along with black pepper, green chillies and curry leaves(For baked method you need to preheat your oven at this time ).
3. Take a big bowl and transfer this mixture into it.
4. Add remaining spices, chopped onion, rice flour, coriander leaves and ginger paste in this mixture and mix well.
5. Now take a baking tray and line it with a foil or parchment paper and spray oil on top.
6. Apply little oil in your palms and take spoonful mixture and shape the mixture into 2 to 3 inch size flat discs and place them on prepared baking tray.
7. Likewise prepare 7 to 8 vadas and spray oil on top and bake them on 220℃ until they turns golden brown on Top.
8. Now heat oil in a deep pan or kadai and prepare vadas from remaining mixture, and fry them in hot oil on medium flame until they become golden on both sides.
9. Now both types of vadas are ready to be served…serve them hot with coconut chatni and sambhar or as your choice…Enjoy!!😊