Shallots gravy is a south indian dish. In this recipe shallots are cooked in sesame, peanuts and spices mixture. Basically it is served with biryani but we can also serve it with plain rice, chapati or any kind of indian bread.
Especially in hyderabad, it is prepared in wedding and other special occasion but You can make it when you want to eat somthing spicy with your daily meal. So lets get started to make this spicy shallots gravy.
300 gram shallots/sambhar onions(washed and peeled).
1/2 cup onion puree
1 table spoon ginger paste
2 table spoon coriander seeds.
2 table spoon peanuts.
5 whole red chillies.
1/2 tea spoon cumin seeds.
2 table spoon sesame seeds.
1.5 table spoon tamarind pulp.
1/2 tea spoon mustard seeds
1 tea spoon fennel seeds powder.
8 to 10 curry leaves
1 tea spoon chilli powder
1/2 tea spoon garam masala (mixed spice).
1/2 tea spoon turmeric
1/2 tea spoon fenugreek seeds
1 table spoon oil
Salt to taste
1. First of all we need to roast peanuts, sesame seeds, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, whole red chillies together for about 4 to 5 minutes.
2. Now with the help of mixer grinder, grind the roasted mixture to fine powder.
3. Now heat 1 tea spoon oil in a pan and saute the shallots about 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Now remove them from the pan and add remaining oil in the same pan.
5. Add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves in it and saute them about 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Now add onion puree and ginger paste in it and saute them until it becomes pink in color.
7. Add turmeric, chilli powder and salt in it then add grounded spice mixture and roast them until oil separates.
8. Now add all spice powders 1 cup of water and shallots in it and cook them until they become tender.
9. Add tamarind pulp and bring this to boil, cover and simmer for 7 to 8 minutes or until oil separates.
Now shallots gravy is ready to serve…enjoy this tangy gravy with rice, paratha or as your choice.