There are various ways to prepare dum aloo and this recipe is inspired by traditional one.
In North India, Dum aloo is a very popular dish, and traditionally it belongs to kashmir. In this recipes, baby potatoes simmered in rich gravy of onion, tomatoes and some spices as well. Dum aloo is a perfect option for lunch or dinner or routine party.
10 to 12 baby potatoes (boiled and peeled)
1/2 cup yogurt (whishked)
2 medium onion (chopped)
1/2 cup tomato puree
1 table spoon fennel powder
1 inch ginger (chopped)
15 cashew nut
1/2 tea spoon cumin seeds
1 tea spoon kashmiri red chilli powder.
1/2 inch cinamon stick
2 bay leaves
1/2 tea spoon mace/javitri
2 or 3 green cardamom
1 black cardamom
1 tea spoon tumeric
1/2 tea spoon coriander powder
1/3 tea spoon mixed spice/garam masala
2 tea spoon kasoori methi
1/4 tea spoon cumin powder
3 table spoon cooking oil
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing
1. To prepare Dum aloo, first, prick all the boiled potatoes with help of fork or tooth pick and then keep aside.
2. Now heat 1.5 table spoon of oil in a pan, and then add all whole spices, cashew nuts in it and saute for about 10 seconds.
3. Now add chopped onion in it and saute them until they turns light pink in color.
4. Now, remove the pan from the heat and let this mixture cool.
5. Meanwhile we will prepare our baby potatoes, and for this, heat a non-stick pan on medium flame and add 2 tea spoons of oil in it.
6. Now add pinch of cumin powder, 1/4 tea spoon of turmeric, 1/2 tea spoon kasmiri red chilli, 1/3 tea spoon salt together and mix well. Then add potatoes in this mixture and saute them for about 3 to 4 minutes (stir constantly)
And then keep aside.
7. Now with the help of blending jar, blend this onion mixture into thick smooth paste.
8. Again heat the remaining oil in a pan then add cumin seeds in it and let it crakel.
9. Now add onion paste and all spices in it and saute for about 2 to 3 minutes or until you have visibility of separate oil from this mixture.
10. Now mix the tomato puree and cook it for about 3 to 4 minutes.
11. Now turn the heat on low and add yogurt in this mixture and mix well. After it boils, add 1 glass of water in it and boil for 1 minute.
Then Add kasuri methi and salt and mix well.
12. Now add prepared potatoes in this gravy, mix them and cover the pan with lid and simmer it for about 5 to 6 minutes.
After that garnish it with fresh coriander leaves and serve with naan, poori, pratha, rice or roti or as your choice.
Note:- To adjust the taste of gravy, you can use water according to your choice to make gravy thick or thin..
-Use only kashmiri red chilli powder in this recipe.
-You can use spices as per your taste as well.