Medu Vada/ Ulundu Vadai is a very popular south Indian snack. These are doughnut shape fritters which are made from urad daal.
Although medu vada especially served for breakfast but you can make it anytime as per your choice. Medu vada is a simple recipe to prepare from urad daal but challenging task is to getting the right shape, and for this the thing which is going to help is practice and after making 2 or 3 vadas you feel satisfied with vada shapes. Its not that complicated but yes it is not so easy recipe as well if you trying it in quick time. But i bet that you will realize the taste worth equal to your efforts. Basically medu vada is served with coconut chutney and sambhar but you can have it with your favorite chatni or sauce… So lets prepare it.
250 grams urad daal (split black lentils)
2 green chillies
1inch ginger piece (grated)
Pinch of asafoetida
Salt to taste
12 to 15 curry leaves
Oil for deep frying
1. To prepare medu vada, first we need to wash and soak the urad dal for 5 to 6 hours or overnight.
2. Now drain the excess water from the daal and grind it along with curry leaves, green chillies and ginger to a smooth batter.
3. Add salt and asafoetida in it and mix well.(meanwhile heat the oil in a kadai or pan for frying the medu vada).
4. Now apply water on your both palm and take a spoonful batter in your hands.
5. Roll it and make a hole in the center, then gently slid the vada in to the oil.
6. Fry the medu vada on medium flame until it become golden in color.
7. Then remove it from the oil and keep it on the kitchen tissue paper.Likewise prepare the all vadas.
8. Serve hot with Coconut chutney or sambhar or as your choice.