Moong Daal Potli or Deep Fried Split Green Gram pouch is a starter Recipe. These mini pouchs are inspired by the Asian Wontons, momos, dimsums and dumplings. It taste really good, and also looks very unique because of their shapes. In this recipe i am using moong daal stuffings, but you can stuffed them with mix vegetables, dry fruits, noodles and many more, based on your choice. Although i am sharing deep fried version of this recipe, but if you want a healthier alternative, then you can also bake them.
This is super easy to wrap stuffing… It might be little struggling in the beginning but after two or three potli, you going to feel that you are expert in potli making😜this is the funny part of this recipe😃😃So lets begin to make our daal potli…..
1 1/2 cup refined flour
2 tblsp clarified butter
Salt to taste
Water as needed
1/2 cup split skinless green gram (Soaked)
Pinch of Asafoetida(hing)
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp dry mango powder(amchoor)
2 tblsp coriander powder
2 tblsp coarsely grounded fennel seeds
2 tsp oil
1 tsp salt
1.5 tsp raisins
1 tblsp chopped almonds
1. Take a big bowl, add refined flour, clarified butter and salt in it. Mix well.
2. Now add enough water and knead the dough, cover and keep aside for 30 minutes.
3. To prepare the stuffing, coarsely ground the soaked moong daal (without water)as shown in pictures.
4. Now heat a non stick pan, add 2 tsp cooking oil in it. Then add all spices, chopped almonds, raisins and grounded moong daal in it. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes (stir continuously).
5. Now turn off the flame and transfer the mixture into a bowl.
6. Now divide the dough into ten equal sized portion and roll into balls.
7. Flatten them slightly with your palm to form discs. And roll out the discs into small pooris, then apply little water on edges.
8. Now place 2 tsp stuffing in the center, form the pleats of pouch. Evenly and carefully pinch together the edges of the poori to form pleats and complete them as a pouch shape(as shown in pictures).
9. Now heat oil in a kadai or deep pan, fry them on medium flame until they turn in golden brown in color. Then take them out from the oil and place them on absorbent paper.
10. Now your Delicious Moong daal pouchs are ready to eat….Serve them hot with hot cup of tea….enjoy!!😊