Handmade pickles are always the demanding pickles and reasons are very simple – we can trust the ingredients, we can trust the hygiene quality and moreover we all in love with that taste. Being expert in making almost all pickles, my grandmother always the best in making lemon pickle.
As a part of learning and also with intention to share that home made demanding recipe with you all – today i am going to follow the same which i learnt from massive experience holder my grand mother.
This is very easy recipe as ingredients are very easily available like basic spices salt, turmeric, chilli, some pickle spices kalonji mustard and all. I am also using oil because oil preserve lemon pickle for longer time. In this recipe you can also use limes instead of lemons.
15 to 17 lemons
1 tsp Kalonji
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp black pepper powder
2 tblsp mustard oil
2 tblsp rock salt
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
3 to 4 pinch Asafoetida
1 tsp red chilli powder
1. Take a deep pan and boil 3 cups of water in it.
2. Now turn the heat slow and add washed lemons in it. Let them simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. After 15 minutes, turn off the heat and drain out the water from lemons. Let them cool completely.
4. Now cut them in quarters or as per your desired shapes and deseed them.
5. Now add black pepper, salt, chilli powder, turmeric in it and mix well.
6. Now heat mustard oil in tadka pan. When oil is that hot that you can see smoke coming out of it, add mustard seeds in it. Then add kalonji and Asafoetida and remove the pan from the heat and add it into the spice mixed lemons chunks.
7. Mix it very well. Now tangy lemon pickle is ready. You can enjoy this tangy lemon pickle with rice, paratha, poori or as your choice……enjoy!!!😊