Traditional Rava Upma
Rava Upma…Easy breakfast recipe with step by step pictures.
Rava Upma is a healthy, tasty and colorful dish. It is equally great for breakfast or snack. It is nutritious, tasty and very easy to make at home. In this recipe roasted rava or semolina cooked with sauted mix vegetables. And the ingredients making it traditional are curry leaves, peanuts and split lentil. So lets start to make our yummy breakfast upma in South Indian style.
1 Cup semolina(Rava/sooji).
1/2 Tsp mustard seeds.
1.5 Tbls spoon clarified butter(desi ghee) or cooking oil.
2 Tbl spoon peanuts.
1/2 Tsp cumin seeds (Optional)
1 Medium onion (Chopped)
1 Tsp grated ginger
1 Pinch asafoetida (hing)
1 Tsp split urad daal (washed)
2 Green chillies (chopped)
8 to10 Curry leaves
2 Tblsp chopped carrot
2 Tbsp chopped capsicum
1 Medium tomato chopped
2 Tblsp frozen peas
1 Tsp chopped fresh coriander
1 Tbsp sweet corn (optional)
1.5 Tsp lime juice
Salt as per taste.
Pinch of red chilli powder
Pinch of coriander powder (optional)
1. Heat non stick pan and dry roast the semolina in it until it turns light brown in color. Then turn off the heat and take it out in a bowl.
2. Now in the same pan add 1 tsp clarified butter and peanuts, roast them until they becomes crunchy and then take them out in a bowl.
3. Heat clarified butter or cooking oil in a non stick pan and add mustard seeds in it.
4. When mustard starts crackling then add cumin and urad daal in it.
5. Saute them until they become light brown in color.
6. Now add onion and saute until it become transparent.
7. Add curry leaves, green chilli, ginger and half quantity of peanuts and saute them for a minute.
8. Now add tomato and cook them about 2 to 3 minutes. Then add all chopped vegetables, peas, corn and spices in it, mix well cover and cook them about 3 to 4 minutes.
9. After that add semolina mix it well and add 3 cups of water.
10. Stir continuously on low heat, after 2 or 3 minutes add remaining peanuts then cover and cook until semolina cook properly and then add lime juice mix well. Now Traditional Rawa Upma is ready…before serving sprinkle some fresh coriander leaves, peanuts and pomegranate seeds on it…. Enjoy😊!!