*Kashmiri Paneer Or Veth Chaman Recipe*
Kashmiri Veth Chaman is a typical Kashmiri recipe where in paneer is cooked in yogurt, fennel and tomato curry prepared by Kashmiri pandits. Kashmiri pandit cuisine is elaborate and gives out the ethnic identity of the pandits. The food is usually prepared in lots of yogurt, oil, and spices. The recipe uses no onions and garlic. It is very delicious and an easy recipe.
The Kashmiri Veth Chaman can be served with rice, lachha paratha or simple phulkas.
300 grams Paneer (Homemade Cottage Cheese) , diced in cubes
1 1/2 cup Water
pinch Asafoetida (hing)
2 Cinnamon Stick
5 Green cardamom
2 Bay leaves (tej patta)
1/2 cup Homemade tomato puree
1/2 teaspoon Shahi jeera
1/2 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
1.5 teaspoon Fennel seeds (Saunf) , grounded to make powder
2 tablespoon Yogurt (Curd) , whisked
1/2 teaspoon Dry ginger powder
pinch Mixed Spices
4 tablespoons Mustard oil
Salt , to taste
Coriander leaves (Dhania) , for garnishing
Directions for Kashmiri Veth Chaman Recipe (Paneer in Yogurt & Tomato Curry)
- To begin the preparation of Kashmiri Veth Chaman, heat 2 tablespoons mustard oil in a thick bottomed pan and fry the cubes of cottage cheese until it turns golden brown color. Drain on absorbent paper.
2. Meanwhile In a bowl, add 1 and a half cup of warm water and then put the fried paneer to the warm water.
3. Now in a pan add the remaining mustard oil, add asafoetida and let it sizzle for a second.
4. Now add cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and green cardamom, saute them for few seconds.
5. Add shahi jeera and saute for another few seconds. Then add tomato puree in it.
6. Now add kashmiri red chilli powder, ginger powder and mix well.
7. Now add freshly grounded fennel powder and mix it properly. At this time add half cup of soaked paneer liquid and mix well (you may add more or less water as your choice).
8. When the mixture starts to boil, add whisked yogurt, crushed saffron and mix them well.
9. Simmer for a further 5 minutes then add salt and mix well. Now add soaked paneer cubes carefully because they are very soft now. Cover and let it simmer for 1 or 2 minutes.
10. Now sprinkle mixed spice or garam masala and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Served the Kashmiri Veth Chaman with rice or lachha paratha or simple phulkas as your choice😊….Enjoy!!