*Potato Puffs Pastry*
A very light pastry made in layers that expand when cooked, leaving large air pockets inside. Used for sweet or savoury dishes.Puff pastry has a reputation of being difficult to make…..but there is a simple and fast way to make a quick puff pastry.
Ingredients for stuffing
1.Medium boiled potatoes = 2
2.Small cubes of cottage cheese = 1/2 cup
3. Finely chopped onion(small) = 1
4. Cilantro leaves = 1tbsp
5. Grated ginger = 1tsp
6. Red chilli powder = 1tsp
7. Garam masala powder = 1/2 tsp
8.Chaat masala = 1 tsp
9. Cumin seeds = 1/2 tsp
10. Crushed coriander seeds = 1 tsp
11.Finely chopped green chilies = 2
12. Oil = 1tsp
13. Salt to taste
Ingredients for dough
1. All purpose flour = 2 cups
2. All purpose flour for dusting = 2 tbsp
3. Unsalted butter = 280gm
4. Cold water = 1/4 cup
5. White vinegar or lime juice = 2 tsp
6. Salt = 1/4 tsp
1. In a mixing bowl sieve all purpose flour and 1/4 tsp salt. Add white vinegar or lime juice and mix well.
2. Add 60 grams of unsalted butter and mash with your hand. Mix all the ingredients by rubbing between your palms.
3. Now add cold water, little at a time to make medium dough. Sprinkle some all purpose flour on working surface and knead dough for 7 minutes without adding water.
4. Transfer the dough in plastic or clingwrap and refrigerate it for about 20 minutes.
5. Take 2 sticks of unsalted butter (approximately 200 grams and make sure butter is cold but not at room temperature) preferably on a cling wrap and roll it with rolling pin and make a rectangular sheet (approx 12 inch wide & 14 inch long) Refrigerate it for 20 minutes.
6. Take out dough from refrigerator. Lightly dust working surface with all purpose flour and roll dough into a sheet. Place butter sheet in the centre of the dough sheet and remove cling warp. Cover the butter sheet with dough by folding the dough sheet from all the sides on top of the butter sheet.
7. Sprinkle some all purpose flour on the sheet and flip it. Sprinkle some more all purpose flour and roll the sheet again.
8. Try to roll as even as possible. Now brush off extra flour from the sheet using a brush. Fold the sheet from left to the center and again fold the sheet from right to the center overlapping each other (brush off extra flour).
9. Cover it with cling wrap, place it in a tray and refrigerate it for 20 minutes.
10. Take out the sheet from the refrigerator, remove the cling wrap, sprinkle some all purpose flour on working station, place the sheet and roll it again. Brush off any extra all purpose flour using a brush.
11. Fold the sheet from left to the center and again fold the sheet from right to the center overlapping each other. Cover it with cling wrap and refrigerate it for 20 minutes. Repeat this step 3 more times.
12. Prepare stuffing: Heat pan on medium heat and add oil.
13. In hot oil add cumin seeds, crushed coriander seeds, chopped ginger and green chilies. Saute for 30 seconds and add chopped onion.
14. Again saute everything until onion turns translucent. Add turmeric powder, garam masala, chaat masala and mix well. Add small cubes of paneer and mix everything well. Add 1/4 tsp of black salt and few pinches of regular salt as per taste. Stir for 30 seconds and add boiled potatoes. Crush boiled potatoes to small chunks and mix well. Turn off the heat and add chopped cilantro leaves. Mix everything well and stuffing is ready.
15. Take out the sheet from the refrigerator, remove the cling wrap, sprinkle some all purpose flour on working station, place the sheet, put some all purpose flour on the sheet and roll it again. Try to roll it as even as possible. Once the sheet is completely rolled, cut the sides using a knife or pizza cutter to make it look like a perfect square/rectangle. Using knife/pizza cutter, you should be able to cut nine equal pieces from the sheet.
16. Now take one of the nine pieces and Put 1 tbsp filling in the center. Lift top right corner and join it with left bottom corner. Seal it completely by pinching the edges together.
17. Take out a baking tray and put ready to bake puffs onto the tray. Bake it at 450F/230C for first 6 minutes. Then, bake it at 350F/175C for 14 minutes. Crispy, flaky and puffed up aloo patties are ready to serve….enjoy😊