Thandai is a very popular drink in North India made during Mahasivarathri and Holi. The word thandai means a coolant. It is coolant because of the balance of milk, nuts, herbs and spices it balances the heat in the body during summers hence known as thandai. This cold drink is made mainly with milk and almond. The other ingredients which are added are saffron, poppy seeds, melon seeds, rose petals, cardamom, fennel seeds and sugar. Adding cashew and pistachios are optional.lets get ready for this summer with coolest drink of the season.
Milk = 2 cups
Sugar = 1.5 tbsp
Saffron = 6 to 8 strands
Rose essence = 2 drops
To grind to a paste
Almonds = 20
Cashews = 10
Poppy seeds = 1 tsp
Fennel seeds = 1 tsp
Cardamom powder = 1/4 tsp
Peppercorns = 10
1. Take all the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’ and soak it in water for 3 to 4 hrs.Meanwhile boil milk.
Cool down and add sugar.
2. Take a tbsp of warm milk and soak saffrons in it.
3.Add a tsp of the saffron milk mixture to the milk.Peel of the skin of almonds and grind it along with other ingredients to a fine paste.
4. Then spoon the mixture and add it to the milk.
5. Mix well and set aside for 30 minutes.Then strain it.Discard the residue.
6. Add the remaining saffron milk (which we reserved in step2) to the strained almond and cashew milk.Add 2 drops rose essence and refrigerate it for an hr and add dried rose petals.Always serve chilled.